A Place You Can Call Home
Your pet is not just an animal; it’s a family member that you care deeply about. At Mountain Shadows Animal Hospital, our veterinary staff understands, knows, and respects your attachment to your pets and will always do whatever it takes to ensure that when you come to our animal hospital, you are welcomed with compassion and open arms. Whether your pets are sick at home and need a mobile vet or just need a routine checkup, we treat your furry friends with the care and attention they deserve.
As Salida’s Top Rated Local® veterinary care provider, Mountain Shadows Animal Hospital provides a vital resource for pets and large animals in the local community. We’re known to many in the area for our ambulatory veterinary services for remote and large animals, but most pet owners associate Mountain Shadows with our Salida location.
Our Animal Clinic & Pet Vet
Mountain Shadows Animal Hospital follows the leadership of Dr. Kermit Ryff, a veterinarian with a true passion for helping local pets with routine and emergency veterinary care. The staff working alongside our doctor all share his unshakable commitment to the well-being of local animals, small and large. You can find us at our veterinary clinic in Salida during the following regular business hours:
- Monday: 7AM–6PM
- Tuesday 7AM–6PM
- Wednesday 7AM–6PM
- Thursday 7AM–6PM
- Friday 7AM–6PM
- Saturday 8AM–2PM
- Sunday Closed
Most of what we see in our animal hospital is routine care, which is great; by keeping up on a pet’s routine care, we are able to greatly increase the likelihood that potential future major health issues can be detected or prevented well in advance. Routine exams consist of any number of things, depending on your pet’s health, age, and frequency of visits; these often include:
- Spay and neutering – Vital to keeping animal populations at a healthy level, curbing dominant aggression, and preventing many undesirable behaviors and health issues.
- Vaccination status – Similar to humans, pets of nearly all types require vaccinations to protect them from harmful, often fatal, health issues.
- Parasite control and prevention – Ranging from simple fleas to heartworm prevention, preventing parasites can improve or save your pet’s life.
- General nutrition – Dr. Ryff and his staff can help you identify any nutritional health opportunities for improving your pet’s diet, exercise, etc.
- Behavior – Changes in behavior can be addressed, noted, and potentially diagnosed during routine visits.
- Full physiological examination – We’ll check paws, hooves, claws, and everything in between for issues with your pet’s overall body, coat, feathers, etc.
Depending on the type of pet, there can be even more things we screen for during your routine examination, including eyes and ears, dental health, breathing, blood tests, and more. We always recommend your pet sees the vet for routine care at least once a year, twice or more in many cases.
In addition to routine care, we proudly provide a number of surgeries and more intensive care options to Salida and surrounding rural communities, which can make all the difference in an emergency situation. Some of the major care we provide includes:
- Overnight and intensive care – There are a number of reasons that your pet may have to stay with us overnight; our caring staff is here to make that process as easy as possible.
- Common surgeries – Including emergency c-sections, intestinal blockage and abdominal surgeries for when your pet swallowed something it shouldn’t have, and many more.
- Orthopedic surgeries – Dr. Ryff is among the limited number of veterinarians skilled in treating bones, joints, ligaments, and other skeletal structures through surgery.
- Large animal surgeries – Any surgery on a large animal requires more care, skill, and experience; Dr. Ryff is proud to offer even complicated large animal surgeries.
Dr. Ryff is well-versed in a number of surgeries for large and small animals alike, giving local residents peace-of-mind when bringing their pet to us. We want your pet to be safe and healthy, without having to drive miles and miles for the care they need.
Questions? Contact Us
For any questions, concerns, or emergency care issues you may have, be sure to contact our friendly staff; we’re available day or night to help you and your pet. Get in touch with us today for more information about anything our Salida animal hospital may be able to help with.